As a jogger, there are many hazards to be aware of. From speeding vehicles to aggressive dogs, you need to know how to remain safe at all times.
Here are some of the many things joggers can do to stay safe on the road:
- Wear reflective clothing. This goes a long way in ensuring that motor vehicle drivers can see you. While it's important at all times of the day, you definitely want to do this if jogging at night.
- Face the traffic. You should never run with the flow of traffic. You're much safer if you face the traffic, as it's easier to react.
- Run on the shoulder of the road or sidewalk. It should go without saying, but you never want to run in the same lane that vehicles will be traveling.
- Don't wear headphones. Although you may enjoy listening to music when you run, this makes it difficult to hear what's going on around you.
- Watch for aggressive drivers. You know the type. These are the people who don't share the road, drive too fast and yell at you when they go by.
It can be great fun to hit the road for a long run. It can also be extremely dangerous, as some drivers don't take extra care when joggers are in the area.
If you or a loved one was injured or killed in a jogging or running accident, it's imperative that you learn more about your legal rights. Depending on the circumstances, you may be able to seek compensation from the negligent party.
Source: Runners World, "11 Tips for Staying Safe on the Roads," accessed Sep. 18, 2017