As a pedestrian, you hope that you never have a close call with a vehicle. This alone is enough to scare you out of your mind.
Unfortunately, many people are struck by a motor vehicle every year, often resulting in a serious injury or death.
As scary as this may be, it's good to know there are steps you can take as a pedestrian to help prevent an accident. Here are a handful of things you absolutely need to do:
- Only cross the street at intersections
- Use designated crosswalks if you need to cross the street
- Don't cross if the signal is telling you to stop
- Look both ways before you cross the street, even if the signal is telling you to walk
- Never dart into traffic
- Wait until it is clear and safe to cross the street, as opposed to taking a risk (even if you are in a hurry)
These aren't the only steps you can take to avoid a pedestrian accident, but they are definitely among the best.
The only other thing you need to remember is this: Drivers can make mistakes that cause an accident, such as texting, driving under the influence of alcohol or running a red light.
If you or a loved one is injured or killed in a pedestrian accident, you need to take all the right steps. For example, if you find yourself dealing with a serious injury, make sure you receive immediate medical attention.
Regardless of what went wrong, you should always take the time to learn more about the cause of the collision and your legal rights.
Source: FindLaw, "Pedestrian Accidents Overview," accessed Feb. 20, 2018