The wrongful death of a loved one is a difficult situation that nobody wants to face. If you find yourself in this position, it's important that you know which steps to take and how to avoid trouble along the way.
Here are some of the most important wrongful death questions to address:
- Who is able to file a wrongful death lawsuit?
- What is the statute of limitations for filing a wrongful death lawsuit?
- Is it possible to file a wrongful death lawsuit in your state if an unborn fetus dies?
- Can punitive damages be awarded?
- What are the laws in your state that govern wrongful death lawsuits?
- Is it possible to file a wrongful death lawsuit if the deceased individual was unemployed at the time of his or her death?
- Is it possible to sue for pain and suffering endured by the deceased individual?
- Is it possible to file a wrongful death lawsuit based on the passing of an elderly individual or child?
These are not the only questions you should address in regards to a wrongful death lawsuit, but they are definitely among the most important. Since everyone is in a different situation, the way you answer a particular question may not be the same as the next person.
With so many details associated with a wrongful death lawsuit, don't hesitate to learn more in a timely manner. You'll have a lot going through your mind, but knowing your legal rights should bring some clarity to your life in the immediate future.
Source: FindLaw, "Wrongful Death FAQ," accessed July 14, 2017